Depression can effect most parts of a person’s life, including feeling changes to one’s physical body, experiencing anxiety, having a tendency to negative thinking, feeling low, feeling nothing, being negative about other people and low productivity at work. People may have difficulty engage well in both personal and professional relationships. Some people might feel despair and loneliness, other people might not be feeling much at all, and have a sense that life is just meaningless. The experience is unique to each individual. Approximately 4% of Australians will experience a major depressive episode in any twelve month period.
Symptoms of Depression
A diagnosis requires a combination of some the following symptoms, you may not experience them all:
- A sense of hopelessness;
- Feeling tired and suffering chronic fatigue;
- Loss of pleasure in most regular activities;
- Low Self Esteem;
- Feeling Worthless;
- Excessive or inappropriate guilt;
- Poor concentration;
- Pessimistic thoughts; unrealistic view of life;
- Weight loss or gain without dieting;
- Change in appetite;
- Sleep disorder;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Agitation or restlessness
- Being slowed down
Treatment of Depression
There is more than hope. Depression can be alleviated by treatment, you and your psychologist can work together, and the chances of improvement are good.
- To lift the depressed mood and so that you can have more enjoyment out of life.
- To increase your level of activity.
- To learn an ability to recognise, accept and change your situation.
- To gain control over reward in your own life by learning to set and achieve your goals
- To learn to identify negative thoughts and how to change to a more positive thinking style.
- To learn coping skills, such as having victories of mind over mood.
- To have better relationships with the people in your life.
- To experience feelings and create a more joyful life, even if life is not perfect.
There are many different approaches to treatment. These include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy
- Interpersonal Therapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
All our psychologists are trained to work with you and develop a treatment program based on principles that have been shown to be effective.