Jo England Psychologist
Jo England is a Generalist Psychologist who has completed an additional three years of clinical training with the Department of Psychiatry, Westmead Hospital. Jo sees adults, offering treatment for panic, anxiety, depression, complex grief and trauma.
She offers after-hours appointments on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays until 8.00 pm. She also offers telehealth psychology appointments – that is, sessions held by videoconference – so that you can access therapy from the comfort of your own home. Please visit the telehealth psychology page for more information about this service.
Jo began working in private practice 18 years ago, collaborating with General Practice using skills taken from Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, mindful self-compassion, Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy, and attachment and mentalisation therapy. Jo has had specialist training in helping people with trauma and uses a different approach for this issue than that which she uses with other mental health diagnoses.
Jo describes herself as a relational psychotherapist and believes that our style of attachment and patterns in relationships create symptoms such as depression and anxiety. For those patients with mild to moderate depression and anxiety who have not experienced relief from Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Jo can offer short-term structured psychodynamic therapy as an alternative approach.
Jo works with older adults, adults, parents and their children to assist with the management of chronic illness. She brings a deep interest to her work with chronic illness across all age groups. She believes that chronic illness and chronic pain, for many people, is a form of complex trauma.
Areas of Work
- Major Depression, including Bipolar Disorder (BPD)
- Childhood trauma, complex trauma
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Stress and adjustment problems
- Panic Disorder
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Social Phobia
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Grief and loss
- Chronic illness
- Chronic illness only
- Intensive short-term psychotherapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Interpersonal psychotherapy
- Trans-diagnostic treatment of emotional disorders
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) skills for symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Play therapy
- Family therapy
- Eight years in full time private practice – Canberra
- Psychologist with Dept. of Paediatric Medicine, Acute Care and In-Patient Follow-Up, The Canberra Hospital
- Independent Practice out of Blackwood Hospital as part of a team working with the Southern Division of General Practice (S.A) Better Access program, collaborating with GPs and Paediatricians
- Psychologist for Southern Division of General Practice in regional centres
- Early Childhood Psychologist, Dept. Education and Children’s Services, South Australia
- School Psychologist with New South Wales Dept of Education and Training
- Ba.(Psych), Flinders University of South Australia
- Masters of Educational Psychology, Charles Sturt University, NSW
- Psychology in Health, Medicine and Therapy with Children taken from the APS accredited Clinical Psychology Masters course
- Graduate Diploma of Counselling (4th year Australian Psychological Society accredited) Charles Sturt University, NSW
- Three years Clinical Training for Complex Trauma, Department of Psychiatry, Westmead Hospital
Jo England does offer after-hours appointments. We welcome phone enquiries and our receptionists can provide more information about the practice and assist you to make a booking. You can reach us on (08) 8272 7885. Alternatively, you may contact us via email using the button below.