Depression Treatment by a Psychologist in Adelaide
Depression can affect most parts of a person’s life. Symptoms may be physical and are often psychological or emotional, including experiencing anxiety, having a tendency to think negatively, feeling low, feeling nothing, being negative about other people and having low productivity at work. People with depression may have difficulty engaging well in both personal and professional relationships. Some people might feel despair and loneliness, whilst others may not be feeling much at all, and have a sense that life is just meaningless. The experience is unique to each individual. Approximately 4% of Australians will experience a major depressive episode in any twelve month period.
Symptoms of Depression
A diagnosis requires a combination of some the following symptoms, you may not experience them all:
- A sense of hopelessness;
- Feeling tired and suffering chronic fatigue;
- Loss of pleasure in most regular activities;
- Low self-esteem;
- Feeling worthless;
- Excessive or inappropriate guilt;
- Poor concentration;
- Pessimistic thoughts;
- Unrealistic view of life;
- Weight loss or gain without dieting;
- Change in appetite;
- Sleep disorder;
- Suicidal thoughts;
- Agitation or restlessness;
- Being ‘slowed down’.
Depression Treatment by a psychologist in Adelaide
There is certainly hope for recovery. Depression can be alleviated by psychological treatment, if you and your psychologist work together. Treatment can help you to:
- Lift the depressed mood so that you can have more enjoyment out of life.
- Increase your level of activity.
- Learn to recognise, accept and change your situation.
- Gain control over reward in your own life by learning to set and achieve your goals.
- Learn to identify negative thoughts and how to change to a more positive thinking style.
- Learn coping skills, such as having victories of mind over mood.
- Have better relationships with the people in your life.
- Experience feelings and create a more joyful life, even if life is not perfect.
There are many different approaches to treatment. These include:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Interpersonal Therapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
Depression Treatment Psychologist in Adelaide – Westbourne Park Psychology
All of our Adelaide psychologists are trained to work with you and develop a treatment program based on principles that have been shown to be effective in the treatment of depression. If you would like more information, or to book an appointment, please feel free to contact us. We can be reached over the phone on (08) 8272 7885 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org